Current:Home > StocksCharles H. Sloan-Pacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Pacific storm dumps heavy rains, unleashes flooding in California coastal cities
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:49:21
SANTA BARBARA,Charles H. Sloan Calif. (AP) — A Pacific storm pounded parts of Southern California on Thursday with heavy rain and street flooding, adding to hassles as holiday travel got underway.
The downpours targeted coastal Ventura and Santa Barbara counties northwest of Los Angeles County, swamping areas in the cities of Port Hueneme, Oxnard and Santa Barbara.
Rainfall rates exceeding 3 inches (7.6 centimeters) an hour unleashed flash flooding in Ventura County, the National Weather Service said. Later in the morning, streets began filling with water in parts of Santa Barbara as the storm delivered another deluge.
Sven Dybdahl, owner of olive oil and vinegar store Viva Oliva in downtown Santa Barbara, said he had trouble finding dry routes to work Thursday morning, but most of the heavy rains and flooding had receded shortly before 11 a.m. He said he was grateful that the weather is only expected to be an issue for a few days at the tail end of the holiday shopping season, otherwise he’d be worried about how the rains would affect his store’s bottom line.
“It will have an impact but thankfully it’s happening quite late,” he said.
The city of Port Hueneme issued evacuation orders for residences on four streets and warned of potential evacuations on four other streets. About 60 houses were affected by the orders, all in a senior citizen community, said Firefighter Andy VanSciver, a Ventura County fire spokesperson. An evacuation center was set up at a college gymnasium.
Three people from the senior community were taken to hospitals out of an abundance of caution, and there were multiple rescues of drivers from flooded vehicles, he said.
The city of Oxnard said in a social media post that many streets and intersections were heavily impacted. “Please stay off the city streets for the next several hours until the water recedes,” the post said.
The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for Oxnard and the city of Ventura at 1:28 a.m. due to a high-intensity thunderstorm, but no tornado activity was immediately observed, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said in a social media post.
Hours later at Heritage Coffee and Gifts in downtown Oxnard, manager Carlos Larios said the storm hadn’t made a dent in their Thursday morning rush despite “gloomy” skies.
“People are still coming in to get coffee, which is surprising,” he said. “I don’t think the rain is going to stop many people from being out and about.”
The storm swept through Northern California earlier in the week as the center of the low-pressure system slowly moved south off the coast. Forecasters described it as a “cutoff low,” a storm that is cut off from the general west-to-east flow and can linger for days, increasing the amount of rainfall.
The system was producing hit-and-miss bands of precipitation rather than generalized widespread rainfall. Forecasters said the low would wobble slightly away from the coast on Thursday, drawing moisture away and allowing some sunshine, but will return.
The San Diego-area weather office warned that rather than fizzling, the storm was gathering energy and its main core would move through that region overnight through Friday morning.
Meanwhile, Californians were gearing up for holiday travel and finishing preparations for Christmas. The Automobile Club of Southern California predicted 9.5 million people in the region would travel during the year-end holiday period.
The Northeast was hit with an unexpectedly strong storm earlier this week, and some parts of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont were still digging out from rain and wind damage. Parts of Maine along the Androscoggin and Kennebec rivers were hit especially hard.
Floodwaters were receding throughout northern New England, though some localized areas were still in the flood stage, said Jon Palmer, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. Flood warnings were also still in effect in parts of Maine and New Hampshire, he said.
At least four people died in Maine as a result of the storm.
The storm cut power to 400,000 customers in Maine, and restoration was still underway Thursday morning.
—-
Antczak reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press reporters Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles and Patrick Whittle in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3475)
Related
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Shania Twain and Donny Osmond on what it's like to have a Las Vegas residency: The standard is so high
- The 2024 Super Bowl is expected to obliterate betting records
- Why a State-Led Coalition to Install More Heat Pumps Is a Big Deal for Climate Change
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- The Bear Season 3: Premiere Date Clue Proves the Show Is Almost Ready to Serve
- Michigan lottery club to split $6 million win, pay off mortgages
- The Daily Money: How to file taxes free
- Small twin
- Taylor Swift fan proposes to his girlfriend during 'Love Story' performance in Tokyo
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- See Kylie Jenner Debut Short Bob Hair Transformation in Topless Selfie
- Millions of clothing steamers recalled for posing a burn hazard from hot water expulsion
- Indianapolis man arrested after stabbing deaths of 2 women in their 50s
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Antonio Gates, coping after not being voted into Hall of Fame, lauds 49ers' George Kittle
- Christian Siriano taps Ashlee Simpson, this 'Succession' star for NYFW show at The Plaza
- Antonio Gates, coping after not being voted into Hall of Fame, lauds 49ers' George Kittle
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Will Beyoncé's new hair care line, Cécred, cater to different hair textures?
Taylor Swift's Eras Tour estimated to boost Japanese economy by $228 million
Feds offer up to $10 million reward for info on Hive ransomware hackers
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Former Mets GM Billy Eppler suspended for one season over fabricated injuries
Christian Siriano taps Ashlee Simpson, this 'Succession' star for NYFW show at The Plaza
Congressional age limit proposed in North Dakota in potential test case for nation